Sunday, January 6, 2008

A Week In and trip to the Whole Foods Market

I have been doing this diet for a full week and I am not starving so that is a great sign. Cooking all of those lunches at the beginning of the week really did help and it is what we spent out day doing again. My husband helped a lot more today because my hips have been hurting so bad. He made me the soup and Pad Thai. I made waffles. Then, together, we made fried chicken for dinner. I did the chicken in two batches. I made mine with corn flakes that are gluten free and I smashed them myself. They are a lot chunkier then I am used to. Peter, my son, and my husband's are made from Kellogg Corn Flake crumbs. Peter, as a wheat allergy kid, has been fine with them this way but I can't do the barley malt because that is not gluten free. I can't wait to see what mine taste like, already knowing what Peter's taste like. I will just miss my dipping sauce of ketchup and mayo.

Yesterday, my friend Christie and I went to Bellevue for shopping which is about an hour away. We went to a posh baby store called Merry Go Round and Whole Foods Market. I was hoping to look a the diaper bag I think I want, the Skip Hop Via Messenger but they are arriving on Monday. Guess I will have to go back. I did get some Bumpkin bibs for Peter that I am just in love with along with some for Carlie, our soon to be daughter. Then we headed over to the Whole Foods Market. I had my list of Gluten Free and Casein Free list that was cross referenced with the Dairy Free list. You can find these list on their Special Diets page. We used it to start our shopping. We had a great time shopping and even bought some chocolate. While looking at the chocolate, Jan, the customer service representative ran into us and was able to share a lot of allergy information with us. The most important thing for our knowledge was that most chocolates are gluten and dairy free. You have to look out for milk chocolate of course along with peanut cross contamination. That makes this pregnant woman very happy. I do have to say that Christie was a real life saver and very helpful throughout this trip. I don't know many people who have friends that will read every label for them. I just love her.

No comments: